Up at 5 am and and out the door at 5:30, we set out to find a taxi who would take us there for a reasonable fee. We arrived at Damnoen Saduak about 7 am and our driver took us to a boat company who he was obviously in massive cahoots with. We were used to this by now and thus a little suspicious and prepared to negotiate. A petite, shrewd Thai lady said it would cost 4500 Thai Baht for a boat through the market. We knew this was about 8 times what it was supposed to cost and started bargaining. She tried to tell us it was a holiday (um, no), that tourism was expensive (maybe, but not 900% increase over night), and that she had to pay for fuel (we asked for a row boat).
Since I don't wake up at 5 am often, especially not to casually debate the cost of tourism, I wasn't exactly oozing politeness. We soon landed on 800 Thai Baht and hopped in the boat. I was really glad that we had read up on the market because it was have been an disappointing surprise otherwise. It was cool to see all the floating boats with their different food specialties and the interaction between the locals before the bustle of tour buses arrived. Yet I don't think the the locals buy many too many wooden carved turtle lamps, embroidered t-shirts, and Kodak batteries.
We were glad we came for no other reason than the great breakfast we had. As we floated down the river we tried noodle soup, coconut pancakes, and unrecognizable sweet cream on crispy pastry that I took to be sour cream, and several banana-leaf-wrapped something rathers. At least we didn't go home with empty stomachs!
That afternoon we headed to China Town. Although the markets weren't as extensive as the JJ Market the day before, there were plenty of Chinese specialities along with dried sea food and fruit of every kind. We snacked our way through the rest of China Town stopping for dim sum, fried bananas, and shrimp noodles.
Due to our early morning we were ready to relax and thought it was a good time to try a Thai Massage. Fortunately, we had a suggestion of a good place to go not too far from our hotel. For the full two hour massage the cost was 600 Thai Baht - approximately 20 US ... what a deal!!! I had never had a Thai massage before so I was a bit reluctant but very curious. A yoga teacher of mine had likened it to yoga except that the masseuse is placing you in the poses with the strength of their resistance. Whatever it was, it was an experience!
My masseuse was a petite, sweet looking Thai girl ... do not be fooled! At one point she was crawling, all fours, on my back doing who-knows-what. Brian emerged from his massage looking like he had just been beaten up by a girl (because well, he had) and slightly unsure of where he was. I left feeling like a giant noodle from the no mercy massage but would go back in a heart beat.
1 comment:
Hey! I'm enjoying your adventures :) and I've told a few other care bears about your blog too. Hope things are going well. How much longer will you be traveling?
Post a Comment