Friday, May 2, 2008

Penang, Malyasia - Georgetown


Today we visited the city center of Penang, Georgetown. It is full of street vendors, markets, cafes, and homes tucked away behind store fronts. Although it was crazy hot today we found enough little stores to duck into for some temporary AC where we pretended to shop. I have never been so interested in gardening gloves before



The covered market we found had the largest selection of pickled items I have ever seen! Bright colored something-rathers of every kind floating in juice




I was curious to try what seemed like fruity drinks being sold in plastic bags from cart vendors. Now, I like to think I am not a picky eater/drinker but when I realized that what I thought was strawberry juice was actually roe syrup I had to pass.

We did find a great lunch spot, Ho Ping, with several high powered fans and a friendly clientele. A doting grandfather introduced us to his darling granddaughter who we were obviously admiring. Brian practiced clapping with her and I practiced blowing kisses - some practices are universal.

No comments: